Wednesday, July 2, 2014

F4H-1 Intake Splitter Plates

After sharing a copy of my latest drawings with a few selected friends, I was told that the intake profile and splitter plates looked wrong.  They were kind enough to share a few pictures and sure enough, I missed the mark.  So I took the opportunity to research the situation a bit more and redesign my drawings (this time digitizing the contours directly from the pictures).

Here is the result of my research (ignore the paint job, they are all on the same master aircraft drawing):

As seen on BuNo.142259a - plain splitter plate:


 As seen on BuNo. 143389a - pass through holes added to variable ramp section:


As seen on BuNo. 142260a - Intake was cut back and lower discharge chute added (upper scab was primarily to make up height difference between old variable ramp and new intake profile, but also may have served as a discharge chute):


As seen on BuNo. 145315b - holes added to discharge chutes:


As seen on BuNo. 145312b  - expanded upper discharge chute:


As seen on BuNo. 145307b - Holes added to expanded upper discharge chute:


Finally, starting with BuNo. 146817c - Production intake and splitter plate (larger splitter plate, smaller variable ramp, top discharge chute was smaller, intake has new profile):



As always, comments are welcome.

Revision History:
  •  02 JULY 2014 - Original Post
Sources:
  • Artwork by Kim Simmelink
  • Craig Kaston and his never ending supply of information
  • Tommy Thomason and his wisdom
  • Pictures found on the internet and in my collection


6 comments:

  1. Note that the narrow fixed (forward) inlet ramp is the key to distinguishing the F4H-1F (F-4A) from the F-4B, not the low profile canopy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Curious about the lo viz lighting strip in the above drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, shouldn't be there. Good eye.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How many pass through holes in the F4 Phantom variable ramp section of the intake? Moose Avery VF101, 171, 41, and 171

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure about the number of holes, or even the size of the different types. I don't have an aircraft nearby that I could even check. All the years I worked on them I never bothered counting. The F4H-1 aircraft had different patterns and numbers throughout the development. I also think there might be a difference between J79 F-4s and those used with the Spey engines, but I can't be sure.

      Delete

I welcome any comments, corrections, and additions to this blog. If you have corrections or additions please give references so they can be properly cited.